Earl Marshal: Wilhelm vom Zweikopfeigen Falka
Missile Combat Marshal: Baron Achmere ib'Tamim
Rapier Marshal: Don Nytshaed
Siege Engine Deputy: Lord Hamish McGowen
Special Projects Database Deputy: Staffan Arffuidsson
War Marshal: Landgrafin Rosewitha Wolfsdottir
Youth Combat Deputy: Viscount Sir Sigifrith Hauknefr
Marshal of the Marches: Viscount Chandra Panthi
Notes from the Earl Marshal’s 12th Night Missive, 2013:
As I complete my first year as your Earl Marshal, I would like to go over the accomplishments that we have made this past year. I say we because it was you, the marshals of the West Kingdom, which have made all of this possible. I thank you all.
- We did a lot to clean up our fighter data. We still have a ways to go but we have an outstanding start.
- We increased communication to all marshals at all levels through the West Marshals Yahoo group and using the Kingdom web page. (If you are not on the Yahoo group, e-mail me for an invite. It is for marshal business only and I clean up the posts regularly as well as answer any questions on a one on one basis. It also has a good set of files on responsibilities of marshals at all levels.)
- We posted the present status of all fighters/marshals so that your status is available to you at any time on the Kingdom web page and the Marshal Yahoo Group. (It is updated prior to most Kingdom/Principality fighting events.)
- We went to the roster system to warrant all of our marshals from Advanced to Senior Marshals. It is also posted on the Kingdom Web page and Marshal Yahoo Group. It is also periodically updated and you are required to send in your new SCA membership expiration date when you renew. Your marshal status is based on you renewing and keeping fighter data informed.
- We are getting close to 90% of branch reports in on time.
- We have taken on several challenges from our Royalty and made them look really good by our ability to accomplish intricate tasks. At the same time we have an outstanding working relationship with our List people and our Heralds.
- We have several new programs that are going on. Live Steel Thrown Weapons, Youth rapier program, Youth Heavy Program and Siege weapons, starting soon.
- We have moved our rapier rules to Society minimums.
- We have several experimental programs in rapier and heavy categories.
- We have no injuries caused by unsafe acts of fighters.
- I have a full roster of deputies that are doing an outstanding job.
Plans for the coming year:
As of today I am in active search for my successor as Earl Marshal. I will begin to accept SCA resumes (mundane resumes will help if you have one that demonstrates management skills, communication skills and leadership skills). The ideal candidate should be the following: You should be a senior marshal with a record of authorizing fighters/marshals and reporting them. You should have a record of auto crating events or being a branch marshal both with a record of on-time and complete reports. I will accept resumes and give potential candidates challenges (running Crownes/ wars) until just after October Crowne. At that time I will make my recommendation for my successor to the Royalty and they will make the final choice.
The poem IF by Rudyard Kipling kinda sums up the rest.
If you can keep your head when all about you Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;
If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools;
If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings,
And never breathe a word about your loss:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"
If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings---nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And---which is more---you'll be (an Earl Marshal)!
-Rudyard Kipling (and last words by Wilhelm)
About the Marshall
The Earl Marshal is responsible for martial activities in the Kingdom, including armored combat in tournaments and wars, rapier combat, siege weapons, combat archery, target archery, and equestrian activities. The Earl Marshal is responsible for overseeing the conduct of all martial arts activities in the Kingdom, and other related activities such as target archery; encouraging the development of safety, chivalry and authenticity upon the field; maintaining a database of authorized fighters; and the maintenance, publication and enforcement of standards for construction and use of all weapons and armor. All rules for combat in the West are based on the SCA standard rules, which can be found on the Society Marshal's page. If you have any questions about combat in the West Kingdom, please contact the Kingdom Earl Marshal.
The Kingdom owns a set of wall, bridge pieces, and other terrain items suitable for use at war events and war practices. Most importantly, this equipment has a trailer too, so, if you can tow it, you can borrow it!! Please email the Royal Teamster: Baron Sveinn of Hawks Haven and the Earl Marshal: Wilhelm vom Zweikopfeigen Falka to request the use of this great resource!!