The Kingdom Equestrian Officer serves as the administrator of all things equestrian in the West and reports to the Kingdom Earl Marshal. The purpose of the West Kingdom College of Equestrian Arts is the study of medieval horsemanship through recreating equestrian pursuits of the Middle Ages. Participants acquire skill and expertise in these areas by attending and participating in equestrian tourneys, practices, and competitions, and through lectures or other workshops sponsored by the College. The College is composed of two parts, the Equestrian Guild and the Marshallate. The Guild is focused upon the research and applied aspects of medieval equestrian arts, while the Marshallate is responsible for safety and conduct.
The College hosts two Kingdom level events per year and often sponsors a full track of classes at Collegiums and the annual Arts and Sciences Tourney. We often have equestrian activities at Crowns, Coronations and Wars, as well if the site is suitable and allows horses to be included. Activities we can do with horses are varied and diverse. From royal processions to combat on horseback, there is a wide range of interest and participation in mounted archery, cavalry drill, jousting, games, driving and more.
See the Kingdom Calendar for events that have equestrian activities, or check the Database of Equestrian Events. Please feel free to join the WestKingdomEQ Yahoo Group or the WestKingdom EQ Facebook Page.
If you are new to the SCA or new to Equestrian Arts, please check out Getting Started in West Kingdom Equestrian Activities – FAQ’s for Horse Owners, Horse Borrowers, Horse Renters, and the Equestrian Curious. This document attempts to answer some of the most common questions. If you have a question it does not address or just want more information, feel free to contact on the the individual officers above or one of the social media groups.
- Form to submit an Equestrian Event - complete to add an event, practice, or workshop to the Eq Events Database. If you need to edit an entry, long after submission, just fill out the form again and the most recent version will be put up.
- Equestrian Marshal's Report Form - to be completed after all Equestrian events and practices
- Form to add items to the loaner equipment inventory - Must be kept current for Kingdom owned items. Voluntary completion for personally owned items. If something changes, input a new entry and the old one will be manually deleted.
- Form to add yourself to the potential instructors list - Fair warning - if you answer yes you feel comfortable teaching a topic, you might be asked to do so.
- Frequently Asked Questions for Newcomers to the Equestrian Arts
- Frequently Asked Questions for Folks Learning to be Driving Marshals
- WK Equestrian Marshal Authorization Process and Sample Questions
- How to Train Your Horse for Horseback Archery
- Gaston Phebus - Field Guide - originally written for a Spring 2012 event held at Pacheco State Park in Central California
- Gaston Phebus - Basic Leather Working, Strap Creation, and Commercial Short Cuts
- Gaston Phebus - Dressing Your Horse
- Gaston Phebus - Dressing Your Human
- Gaston Phebus - Dressing Your Hound
- How to make starter games equipment from PVC
- How to make horse hair stuffed helm padding
- Building a quintain
- Spring Equestrium 2014 - Class Schedule