The SCA was founded in the West Kingdom back in 1966 when a few friends who were history buffs and science fiction fantasy fans hosted a big outdoor party in Berkeley, California. People were in costume, there was food, drink, revelry, and the first tournament was held. Everyone enjoyed it so much that they planned another event, and then another. As time went on word of the SCA spread via friends and fandom. In the third year the East Kingdom was founded, distinguishing it from the West Kingdom. The Californians incorporated the SCA as a non-profit educational society, and since then the Society has grown to nineteen kingdoms in the U.S., Canada, Europe, Asia, South Africa, and Australia.
The West Kingdom is made up of areas from Northern and Central California, Northern Nevada, Alaska, Japan, South Korea, Guam and Thailand.
Kingdom activities include:
- Tournaments - where the martial arts of the Middle Ages are displayed.
- Feasts & Revels - where medieval food, drink and entertainment are sampled.
- Universities and Collegiums - classes on subjects dealing with either the "Current Middle Ages" or the pre-seventeenth century world are taught by members at events.
- Arts and Sciences - events emphasize the exhibition and /or competition of various artistic skills and research of SCA members. Guilds and other groups hold meetings to teach such subjects as dance, cooking, armor making, needlework, music, and more.
In addition to the historic aspect of research and re-creation, the SCA also encourages chivalry, courtesy, honor, and graciousness. The SCA is a Volunteer group, so step up, volunteer, and have fun!
Branch Groups or local groups can be called Baronies, Shires, Cantons, or Colleges, depending on size, are organized in the same way as the Kingdom. Each group has its own Seneschal, Herald, Minister of Arts and Sciences, Marshal, Chirurgeon and so on. These officers answer to the Crown, as well as to the local populace.
Royalty & Officers View Officers pages and see who the current Kingdom Royalty is.
Grand Council The Grand Council is a standing advisory committee to the Board of Directors of the SCA Incorporated.
Guilds The Guilds are chartered organizations within the Kingdom of the West that promote a particular craft or skill.
Social Media (The following social media online sites are not official Kingdom properties):
- Kingdom of the West Facebook group
- Kingdom of the West Yahoo group
- Principality of the Mists Facebook group
- Prinicpality of Cynagua Facebook group
Artisan Network Social networking and information sharing about the Arts and Sciences. The Artisan Network website is not an official SCA website.
History Project The West Kingdom History Project is a site that details the history and traditions of the West Kingdom. It is also a resource to see photographs of people taken at events. The History Project website is not an official SCA website.
The SCA has five Orders of Peerage:
- Order of Chivalry, recognizing high-levels of martial skill
- Order of the Laurel, recognizing excellence in the arts and/or sciences
- Order of the Pelican, recognizing outstanding service to the Kingdom
- Order of Defense, recognizing high-levels of martial skill - webpage forthcoming.
- Royal Peerages, recognizing service to the SCA by reigning as King/Queen or Prince/Princess
Here is where we bust a few SCA Myths.
West Kingdom Resources List
- Arts & Sciences Handbook and Competitions Information
- Collegium Occidentalis
- Event Signage
- SCA Catering (Feast Organization)
- Combat Waivers
- Royal Pavilion Setup Information
- West Kingdom History
- West Kingdom Who's Who
- West Kingdom Awards
- Roll of Arms
- West Kingdom Awards List
- West Kingdom On-line Award Recommendation Form
- Past Royalty of the West Kingdom
West Kingdom Laws and Policies
- West Kingdom Law
- West Kingdom Law Recent Changes
- Merchant Guidlines
- West Kingdom Bardic Law
- Armored Combat Manual (last updated August 2016)
- Royal Guild of Fence
- Other offices Warrant PDF
- West Kingdom Royalty Handbook
- West Kingdom Officer Manuals & Forms
- West Kingdom Autocrat Information, Waivers, Officer Warrants & Other Information
- West Kingdom Fire Policy
- Armored Combat rules and forms
- Rapier Combat rules and forms
- Missile Combat rules and forms