The Perfectly Period Feast Movement has been described as "collaborative research project culminating in an immersive experience".
The West Kingdom Perfect Period Feast – Burgundy Guild (PPF-Burgundy Guild) is dedicated to exploring the time and culture of Burgundy in the fifteenth century with a goal of producing a Perfectly Period Feast on the theme in Fall of 2017. All interested folks are welcome to participate in the guild at whatever their interest level. The guild members will spend the intervening years researching the time period, producing suitable items, conducting classes and workshops, and fundraising for the event.
More specifically we will be throwing a feast day centered in 1450 to 1468 in a pretentious, wealthy merchant household. The goal is to continue the high quality in food, table service and material goods that have come to characterize PPF's while expanding the spectacle presentations (entremets), period games/entertainments, and music/dance. On this PPF cycle, we will also be adding a pas d'armes. We encourage an interactive experience for servers and guests and we seek to engage those new to PPFs as well as our core of experienced participants. All interested parties shall be guildmembers.
Currently, various guildmembers are exploring their favorite subject areas, experimenting with ideas and implementation and refining their thoughts.
Want to join in on the fun? Join us in teaching or taking a class or workshop. Need an idea for a class to teach? A wish list of classes is available here. Interested in finding resourses? Guildmembers have already completed several classes. Class notes and other educational materials can be found below. Want a social media connection? Follow along or share resources on the PPF-Burgundy Guild Facebook Page or Perfectly Period Feast Yahoo Group. Have an area you are interested in exploring, but want some assistance? Please let the Guildmistress or Autocrat know and we will be happy to help you get on track and to help you share your information with others.
Upcoming Classes and Workshops
There will be a Gown and Hat fitting workshop in San Jose on June 4. For more information, follow the FB page or contact the Autocrat.
Event overview - for a more complete schedule click here
Set up hall.
Potluck and Refresher classes on: What to expect and how to be a guest; how to recognize and interact with the staff. Review topical gossip, literature, and important events of the times.
Early! ~8 am Light break-fast of bread, cold meats and cheese, watered wine or fruit juice and bread.
9 am Guests entertain themselves with games, dancing, idle (or strategic) chatter among the guests and servants and view the helmets/crests/arms of the competitors in the Pas d’Armes in the Feast Hall.
11 am Servants fed in messes in the Manor House/ Set up for the Feast will occur at the same time in the Feast Hall. Guests are allowed to socialize in the hall during set up if they so wish.
Feast- noon (~2 hours) - Order of Precedence procession into the room; seating by ticket type. Food and presentations / performances.
After feast 2 pm to ~5 pm - Servants clear tables of gear & reset for supper, Chairs /benches moved to inside of the U shape for after feast (backs to tables), move back for supper. Games and outdoor activities to occupy guests while combatants get ready to participate in the Pas and after the Pas while combatants are cleaning up.
2:30 Guests gather for the Pas d’Armes. (2 hours)
~5 pm Supper from the sideboard (1 to 1.5 hours) Food and storytelling on the theme of the Pas.
~7 pm start clean-up
~8 pm sponsors pick up their items.
~9 pm event closes for day trip event / old style SCA after-revel for camping event with Saturday stay.
Brunch of leftovers and general socializing
Finish cleaning site and go home.
Pinterist Pages for Material Goods
- Chairs - Western Europe 1450-1470
- Jewelry - Extent 15th Century Europe
- Trestle Tables - 1450-1470
- Tableware and settings 1450-1470
- Coins - Low Countries/Burgundian
- Portraits of people - Painted in 1450-1470 by painters of the time period
- Tapestries - Inspiration for painted cloths suitable from 1450-1470
- Hennins - 1450-1477
From Mini-Collegium and Arts Practice - March 2016
- The Brazen Burgundian - The website of Master Charles de Bourbon - 15th Century Burgundian and French Costuming resources.
- The Painted Cloths of Bruge - Please note the original museums retain the copyright to their holdings
From the Napkin Workshop - January 2016
From Collegium - November 2015
From the Spoon Casting Workshop - August 2015
From Arts and Sciences Tournament - June 2015
- Current Overview Slides
- Burgundian Pas D'Armes
- Headgear 1450-1470 (Google Doc Database)
- Introduction to Ladies 15th Century Headgear
From Collegium - November 2014
From Arts and Sciences Tournament - June 2014
- Preliminary Overview Slides
- Preliminary Philosophy
- Preliminary Event Schedule and Layout.
- Preliminary Pre-Event Class Wish List
From the Knowne World Costuming Symposium - 2009 (Resources shared with the Guild)
Items Needing Translation (Please contact the Guildmistress to help)
- Internet Archive Search: creator:"Beaune, Henri, 1833-1907, ed
Mémoires d'Olivier de La Marche, maître d'hôtel et capitaine des gardes de Charles le Téméraire, pub. pour la Société de l'histoire de France par ... 03 - Primary Source Edition (French Edition): Olivier De La Marche, Henri Beaune, Jules d' Arbaumont: 9781295669356: Amazon.com: Books
Fundraising and Donations
The Financial Committee would like to thank our Donors:
- Mistress Else Hunrvogt
- Lady Cynthia Fairfax
- Mistress Flidais ni Eitigen
- Lady Aleit Pietersdochter
- Lord Niall Mor
- Mistress Crystal of the Westermark
- Sir Geoffrey Mathias
- Mistress Anne of Bradford
- Mistress Uta Fell hammer
- Baroness Tuireadh of Canale
- Master Zaid al-fallah al-hajji
- Mistress Marguerite du Royon
- Master Charles de Bourbon
- Lord Coenwulf Draugrson
- Sir Heinrich von Melk
- Lady Kathryn Onora
- Mistress Caitriona inghean ui Chionaodha
- Sir Bjorn Jorsalfar of Bearhaven
- Mistress Hilarie the Puppeteer
- Lord Hosokawa Yoshitatsu
- Mistress Gwendwyn the Silent
- Lord Hamish McGowan
- Lady Heidi von der Bergen
- Lady Jolie de la Rue
- Viscountess Juliana of Avon
- Viscount Nathan Hartman
- Barone Antonio Giordano da Sicilia
- Mistress Ula Brennasdottir
- Lady Thyri Grimsdottir
- Mistress Sabrina de la Bere
- Viscountess Syele Thorsdottir
- Lady Liadan of the Westermark
- Mistress Alys Graye
- Lady Sigrun Billingsdottir of Wolfscairn
**************If you are interested in making a donation or running a fundraiser, please contact the Exchequer