August 30 to September 2, 2013
Ducal Prize (Kingdom of the West / KHTI)
Ducal Prize is an event jointly sponsored by the West Kingdom and KHTI, with the profits to go toward the purchase of a permanent tourney site for the West Kingdom. Since this is a jointly sponsored event be prepared to sign an event-specific waiver.
We will kick off the festivities on Friday evening with an All-Special-Request Bardic, beginning after dinner. Saturday and Sunday will be filled with merriment, competitions, auctions, and the world famous Ducal Garage Sale. Finally, on Monday morning we will wrap up with the wrestling competitions.
• Heavy fighting: Sword & Shield List, Barroom Brawl Melee, Cat's Cradle Melee, Ducal Team Melee, Gallery-Participation List, Superhero (with a twist) Melee, Resurrection Melee, Walk the Plank Melee and Pandybat Melee
• Rapier: Tipped Cup, Teeter-Totter (if equipment is available), Barroom Brawl, Plague Rats, 3-Rings Challenge, Wacky Offhand Weapon, Pandybat – additional events may be added depending on the number of fighters;
• Archery: to be announced;
• Thrown Weapons (Sunday afternoon);
• Wrestling (Monday morning);
• Games: Hunkerhauser (adult & kid divisions), Water Balloon Event, Amazing Race (adult scavenger hunt/obstacle course), Drag Races (family friendly, please!), Scavenger Hunt (kids only), Foam weapon Barroom Brawl, Palio, Holey Bucket Brigade (mixed-age teams, please);;
• Bardic: Broadway (solo and ensemble divisions), Hyperbole about Royalty, Viking Haiku, Period Songs; and
• Culture: Cordials, additional competitions to be announced
For your shopping pleasure, there will be two evening auctions - perishibles (food, cordials, and such) will be auctioned on Saturday evening and the Grand Auction will take place on Sunday evening As always we need stuff -- your stuff, my stuff, everybody's stuff! Ducal Prize runs on donations; donations of items, skills, services, and your time. Donations are used as competition prizes, to fuel the Monster Auctions, and to sell at the garage sale. We can't hold a three hour auction for your listening and shopping pleasure if we don't have your items to sell back to you, can we now? Remember, services as well as items make great auction donations. Dinners and such-like have been some of our most successful offerings! If you have any questions about whether a particular item would make a good donation, please contact the Event Autocrat! Prior to the event, donated items can be dropped off and/or picked up at a number of locations in the East Bay, San Jose, Monterey, and Sacramento areas. If you have something you would like to donate and cannot transport the item(s) to the event yourself please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a pick up.
Web Site: www.khti.org/ducal-prize
From the North: Take I-5 South to Woodland Exit East Street /Downtown Woodland (Highway 113 N. Yuba City) and turn left at the light onto East Street. Go to the 4th light, turn left onto Gum Avenue, then turn right at the large blue & white sign for the Yolo County Fair.
From the South & East: Take I-5 to Woodland, Exit Main Street /Downtown Woodland; turn left at the light onto Main Sttreet, ** Go to the 4th light and turn left onto East (if you cross the RR tracks, you've gone too far), go on East to Gum Avenue (the next light); turn left; turn right at the large blue & white sign for the Yolo County Fair.
From the West (Bay Area): Take I-80 East to Davis; Exit Highway 113 N Yuba City. Go about 7 miles, then exit Main Street /Downtown Woodland, turn left at the light onto Main; follow from **.